February 1, 2009

Tarped... Battlestar Galactica

Sometimes, I just tarp myself into a tv show that's not that worth it. Done that with, lets see now, Dark Angel must have been the first one... Then, something like 24, post-season 1, then Stargate: Atlantis... Probably some other, unmentionable ones, such as the O.C.. Yeah. No comments please. lol.

Latest addition to this list is Battlestar Galactica, a somewhat decent Sci-Fi Channel remake of the old 70s series. As is often the case with that kinda show, the plot is ok, but pretty thin, the tentive mythos is lame, lazy and soft, much of the effects are pretty bad and the whole thing requires a hell of a lot of suspension of disbelief. But, I am what I am, a geek sooooo fond of SF it's bordering on the unhealthy. So, I have to at least take a look at those amped up tv shows. And what better moment than this television no man's land of late (all my favorites are either done or on hiatus 'til Super Bowl XLIII's history) to take quick peeks at these shows. And there I got tarped, by the smallest of things, as is often the case with me :P... It must be during the first ep, really, that we see the fame whiteboard with a single 5-digit number handwritten there: 51 thousand-and-change survivors of the human race left in the entire universe. Now, the show can be lame and utterly stupid at times (Starbuck finds a dead Cylon ship, climbs aboard by digging a hole in the hull then patching with her coat... And she reaches deep space like that?? Yeah, that makes sense for sure...), but that kinda of postulate just grabs me whole... It gets to me, and I end up identifiying... Even though the subplots sometimes have bullet holes so wide in them you could probably fit the whole solar system...

Oh, still, they do manage to satisfy this unconditional Dune fanboy to some extent: the Cylon, the Machine Enemy, having developed a 'humanoid' breeding program, use human women in the very same way the Bene Tleilax do in Dune... Oh yeah, you got that right, they have their very own equivalent of axlotl tanks :|. And we see them... Though in a very sanitized fashion if you ask me... It is still quite intuitively repulsive...

Still, now I feel tarped as I can't let go of the show without seeing it to the end... Nerf me.

No comments: