February 6, 2009

transHUMAN
or, Opening Up My Blogging Horizons

Ok, ok, I really believe it's time this blog gets a little broader. I love movies, but I also love reading and watching TV Shows and going to live shows, and so on, and I do have some things to say about those... sometimes... So here we go, this blog is now a true thoughts repository... Sort of a diary, basically...

First off the bat, Jonathan Hickman's transHUMAN.


That guy has an obvious storyteller's talent, and the greatest and simplest ideas, working its way towards complex issues, with a couple goodies for uber geeks such as yours truly. his first mini-series, The Nightly News, gave me shivers and reminded me of the impact Fight Club's premice had on me... I actually was waiting for some art work with the same order of magnitude. While closing TNN, and pondering it for days on end afterwards, I had to admit this was the work I'd been looking for, hoping for since Fight Club was released, which is to say about 10 years... Crazy.

Thereafter, of course, I became a huge fan of Hickman, but somewhat unfortunately, the guy is mostly just starting... So, once again, I had to wait. And wait I did... Until transHUMAN's trade finally hit the shelves, a week ago. Man o man, do Hickman, and his artist (JM Ringuet, great great "painter" style) deliver... It's deep while seemingly simple, it tackles one if not the issue of the 3rd millenium, it's smart and savvy and funny, and, bottom line, so well-written... Abso-fscking-lutely worth entering one of those smelly geeks den and subjects oneself to those inevitable crooked looks, and perhaps even a comments or three, to grab that book. Seriously. It's all part of the diegesis, really ;-).
'... if you're reading this, take my advice, put the comic down and step away from the shelf - because it's not everyday that you get smarter from not reading a book.'
- Dr. Anton Rebere

'Congratulations, you're forever stuck in neutral, manmeat. We'll be replacing you soon.'

No comments: